DESCRIPTION: Eating meat or eggs before pregnancy may increase the risk of gestational diabetes.
I recently covered eggs and regular (type 2) diabetes in my video Eggs and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-diabetes).
More on advanced glycation end products in Glycotoxins (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/glycotoxins/) and Avoiding a Sugary Grave (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/avoiding-a-sugary-grave/).
The heme iron in animal products is one of the toxic components the meat industry is trying to develop strategies to mediate. See Meat Additives to Diminish Toxicity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-additives-to-diminish-toxicity/). More on heme versus nonheme iron in Risk Associated With Iron Supplements (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/risk-associated-with-iron-supplements/).
What else has the Harvard Nurses Health Study shown us? See:
• Harvard's Meat and Mortality Studies (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/harvards-meat-and-mortality-studies/)
• Breast Cancer and Alcohol: How Much is Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast-cancer-and-alcohol-what-much-is-safe/)
• What Women Should Eat to Live Longer (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-women-should-eat-to-live-longer/)
For other cautionary pregnancy tales, see:
• Chamomile Tea May Not Be Safe During Pregnancy (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/chamomile-tea-may-not-be-safe-during-pregnancy)
• What About the Caffeine? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-about-the-caffeine/)
• Is Licorice Good For You? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-licorice-good-for-you/)
• Iron During Pregnancy (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/iron-during-pregnancy/)
• Maternal Mercury Levels (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/maternal-mercury-levels/)
• Pregnant Vegans at Risk for Iodine Deficiency (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/pregnant-vegans-at-risk-for-iodine-deficiency-2/)
• American Vegans Placing Babies at Risk (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/american-vegans-placing-babies-at-risk/)
• Chicken Consumption and the Feminization of Male Genitalia (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/chicken-consumption-and-the-feminization-of-male-genitalia/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/bacon-eggs-and-gestational-diabetes-during-pregnancy/ and he'll try to answer it!